Friday, April 8, 2011

The Kitchen

The kitchen. My heaven. One of my most favorite rooms in our house is the kitchen. When we toured our house my mouth dropped at the size of the island. I have dreamned of owning a home with a giant island. I think I turned to Bryan and whispered "I want this house," upon seeing the kitchen. Since moving in we've made only one minor change. The chandelier the house came with was stainless steel and I didnt think it would match our furniture selections so I went to Lowes and picked out a bronze chandelier and Bryan installed it. I think it looks great. Bryan is so wonderful and I'll admit he let me pick out pretty much everything we bought as far as our furniture purchases, as long as it fit within our budget. I saw a dining room table, similiar to the one we purchased, in a magazine and loved the distressed black/ebony look. To me it screamed comfortable yet beautiful and elegant. I didn't think I would be able to find it but after searching through tons of furniture stores I found one so similair. I was so excited. The China hutch matches the table, it was in the same furniture set as the dining table, and holds Bryan's grandma's complete china set she graciously handed down to us.
The painting pictured was one of my last purchases for the kitchen. It took forever to find something to fill that wall. Of course when you are not looking it comes right to you. I bought this painting from the Dessert Book Store I visited last week in Mesa. It is an artists depiction of the Sacred Grove, and as soon as I saw it I just had to have this in my home. Intrestingly the store clerk shared with me that this is a fairly new depiction of the Sacred Grove and most likely far more accurate than others because of the seasonal time frame at which the event occured in New York.
The only change that I'm hoping will happen in the next five years would be to install plantation shutters throughout the enitre house. Right now I have them at the face of the house to give the illusion that I have them throughout. I've had many comments about putting curtains up behind the dining room table and into the family room but I feel as if it would be a temporary fix for what I'm hoping to do down the road. So the window treatments there now will have to do and sereve as a reminder of what I hope to do in the very disitant future because those shutters are incredibly pricey.
Next week I'm hoping our couch will come...finally! Look for more pics soon!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a gorgeous kitchen! I'd be all over that as well. I definitely love your decorations, chandelier, dining table, etc. You are very very skilled at decorating! So beautiful. It makes me excited to one day decorate my own house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea! The kithcen and dining room is lovely! I love the hutch. I wanted one, but it doesn't fit in our house. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks beautiful Andrea! Great taste! xoxo

    ReplyDelete