Friday, May 18, 2012

Brooke's Room Make-over

What inspires a room make-over? A few weeks ago Brooke lost her front tooth. It's amazing to me how much more grown up she looks to me and in that instant I decided she needed a room make-over to accommodate her more "grown-up" self. I liked her room before (I have a blog entry of her room in April 2011) but there is always room for improvement, plus I had a pretty nice budget to play around with this time around. After Christmas I had bought the kids a super cute kitchen set from Pottery Barn Kids. Without fail, every single time we visited that store my kids were drawn to it, played with it, loved it. So I decided to save up and when I had enough I'd splurge...they loved playing with it right? I finally had enough to buy the set, I settled on two pieces, brought them home and the kids played with them a whopping 20 minutes. Fast forward two months and the kitchen sat and sat and sat untouched in the playroom. I was so fed up with having spent that much (it was a VERY pretty penny) that I phoned the store asked if I could return the set since I still had my receipts and the set was in brand spanking new condition with zero finger prints and they agreed but could only issue me store credit. I settled for that. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I decided to use the store credit as my budget for Brooke's room make-over. I was able to purchase her a canopy, cork board, new bedding, accessories that include her two hanging birds, butterflies I pinned to her canopy, dream wall decor above her headboard and wall decals below the cork board. The frames I purchased at Ikea and spray painted them (FYI PRIME before spray painting!). I over bought the frames and ended up with an extra so I decided to place the extra frame around her cuckoo. I'm still trying to figure out how to hang that frame without the ugly white nails showing. I still need to put pictures in her frames and there is one more accessory I want to purchase (its a fairy doll with brown hair at Pottery Barn Kids) but it needs to wait because my budget is currently at $0. I also want to buy a chalkboard I saw that is shaped like a house for the wall next to her closet. It's pretty large and so is the price. There is much more I wish I could have done and hopefully maybe in time I can do it...someday. I had so much fun re-decorating Brooke's room and my sweet girl loves it too. She actually spends a lot more time in her room now than she did before. Brody is up next...my little boy is not so little anymore and is making the transition to his big boy bed. Soon there will be no need for a crib and I can create a fun, adventurous little boy's room for him. Enjoy! p.s. I think figured out my flash...I love the last picture, the lighting makes her room look angelic!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I would love to do my kids room but can't due to living with in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Andrea! The room is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing!! Great job! I love doing that with hair bows. Leila's are in one and I always suggest it for nurseries. Use 3m picture hanging strips for the frame around the cockoo clock {which is freaking adorable btw} Super, super good job! I bet she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! So cute! Good job, Andrea! I love the frame around the clock....so clever!

    ReplyDelete